French Toast in Vietnam
French Toast in Vietnam is our take on a popular Vietnamese coffee variant that is named so because of the similarities of ingredients in French toast (try using our egg mix recipenext time you're in the mood for French Toast!)
The coffee has egg as an ingredient, which might sound weird to people who have yet to try this creamy goodness. Many cultures use eggs in coffee, and in this piece, we will tell you how to make this frothy warm cup in a few simple steps.
What is Egg Coffee?
Quite popular in Vietnam, this coffee has a dessert-like taste, a silky and smooth texture, and all the goodness of your traditional dark brew coffee.
You can find this drink throughout many Vietnamese regions, and it originated in Hanoi. It is said that it was first served at The Giang Cafe in the 1940s. The story of how it happened is quite interesting too. When there was a shortage of fresh milk in the region, a man named Giang got creative and invented an egg-based coffee that is now so popular that it's almost a national symbol.
Traditionally, this beverage comprises ingredients like egg yolk, coffee powder, condensed milk, and cheese (optional). However, as a healthier alternative, we like to add coconut cream, raw honey, and cinnamon to our egg mix!
This is our very own twist on the Vietnamese egg coffee, as the Korma classic blend goes perfectly with the richness of the egg and coconut cream. Don't take our word for it; try it yourself!
- 3 tbsp of Korma Date Coffee Classic Blend
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp of coconut cream
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Brew a strong cup of Korma date coffee and heat on stove top, bringing to a light boil.
- Crack an egg, separate the egg yolk, and discard the egg white.
- Add the coconut cream, egg yolk, honey, and cinnamon to taste in a deep bowl and whisk thoroughly until the mixture becomes fluffy and frothy.
- Pour the hot brewed coffee into a cup and keep a few tbsp in reserve.
- Layer the frothy mixture on top of the hot coffee.
- Pour the reserved coffee through the froth and sprinkle it with ground cinnamon.
- Your creamy and delicious Vietnamese egg coffee is ready to be served!