New Orleans coffee is famous for its fragrant aroma and bold taste, thanks to the added chicory. It is a famous coffee variant and a staple of New Orleans cuisine. It makes for a delightfully warming drink, and since our coffee was inspired by the traditional New Orleans coffee, you get an extra bold kick out of your cup if you make it with our classic blend due to the extra chicory flavor.
If you like to experiment with different types of coffee, a cup of Nawlins will be perfect, as it is easy to make with a few ingredients and a simple recipe. You might get hooked on this coffee after trying it once, so proceed with caution!
What is New Orleans Coffee?
The New Orleans coffee's distinguishing ingredient is chicory. It is a herb made by drying and roasting the roots of a bitter perennial plant. Chicory gives this coffee a distinctly bold flavor, which makes it so loved by many coffee lovers worldwide.
Even though chicory originated in Europe, it can be found today in Australia, Asia, and North America. Chicory is also used in cooking in New Orleans cuisine. Most interestingly, chicory became popular at times when coffee became scarce, much like the use of eggs in Vietnamese coffee. People used to steep the chicory roots in hot water at that time, making a nutty and flavorful warm drink with chocolate and caramel notes.
The tradition of adding chicory to coffee holds today in the form of New Orleans coffee, and of course, our Nawlins with date coffee.
- 4 tbsp Korma Date Classic Blend coffee
- 2 tbsp ground chicory
- 1 tsp sugar, optional (or raw honey)
- 1/4 tsp salt, optional
- 4 cups water
- Add coffee, sugar (or raw honey), salt, and water to a saucepan and put on medium heat.
- Wait until the water becomes hot, and add ground chicory.
- Bring the water to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Pour the coffee into four cups using a coffee filter or a sieve lined with cheesecloth
- Your extra-bold and authentic New Orleans coffee is ready to be served.