Italians have a penchant for making desserts out of coffee, and the Affogato is no exception. It is a gelato/coffee treat that is perfect for all occasions or to satisfy your sweet tooth after a meal.
It is an enchanting balance of the strong, bold, and warm flavor of espresso and gelato's sweet, soft, and cold texture. In Italian cuisine, Affogato is usually served at the end of the meal. This dessert has made it into our list of recipes because of how easy it is to make at home. And with our healthy homemade gelato, you can even enjoy it for breakfast!
What is Affogato?
Affogato means "drowned in espresso." It holds a special place in Italian tradition and belongs in the list of desserts made with coffee, such as Coffee Mascarpone Cream or Tiramisu. An affogato after a meal is a ritual in some Italian homes. What's most interesting about Affogato is that the Italians discovered it by mixing two of their most iconic foods, i.e., espresso and gelato.
The texture of Affogato is worth mentioning. As the hot espresso mixes with the freezing gelato, the contrast between the two sensations of hot and cold, and the flavors, bitter and sweet, come together to make soft goodness in your mouth.
But since we are all about healthy recipes, we will make our gelato from scratch! It pairs beautifully with our Classic Blend date coffee. Even though vanilla gelato is most commonly used in Affogato, you can also try other flavors like mint chocolate chip. The ratio of ice cream to espresso is two cups of gelato to one cup of espresso. But there's so much room for customization.
- 2 tbsp Korma Classic Blend
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 frozen banana,
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 1 ice cube
- 1 tbsp honey
- Use a Moka pot or an espresso maker compatible with ground coffee and add water and coffee to it.
- Add milk, honey, vanilla flavoring, and peanut butter to a blender and blend.
- Cut the frozen banana into small pieces (or cut before freezing).
- Add banana pieces and ice to blender and blend.
- Put the blended mixture in the freezer to harden
- Add two scoops of frozen gelato to a clear glass
- Pour one shot of hot espresso by filter with a sieve lined with cheesecloth into clear glass
- Your healthy, homemade, and indulging Affogato is ready to be served